Move to Amend is Getting Out There To Birddog This Election Season!
Candidates will be on the road and we're going to be making sure they know that passing the #WeThePeopleAmendment is a critical issue that they need to take a stand on.
What is Birddogging?
Bird dogging is a tactic where we go to where the candidates and elected officials are and get them on record answering our questions about the issues that matter to us.
The goals of bird dogging are to:
- Educate the candidate
- Educate the public and media
- Make the candidate make a public comment about our issue
- Gather video content to use as leverage on social media and in person to get them to do what we want
Anyone can do it, and we'll help you!
Here's what you need to get started:
1) Assemble a team
- Ideally 5-8 people but can be done with as few as two
2) Pick your target. Which candidate are you going to question? This could be based on who's coming to your area, or who is the most strategic person based on our issue
- During this presidential election cycle our top targets are Warren, Sanders, Harris, Booker, Klobuchar, Castro, Biden, Buttigieg, and O’Rourke
3) Find out where the candidate is going to be
- We suggest you birddog every candidate that comes close to you.
- We will send emails when a candidate is coming to your community, but we also recommend that you sign up for their email lists and newsletters and check your local news media outlets.
- Be sure to find events that the candidates will be at themselves.
4) Know The Candidates Stance on The Issue
- What has the candidate said about the #WeThePeopleAmendment or overturning Citizens United or corporate constitutional rights in the past? Have they taken the Pledge to Amend?
Build your questions
- See "How to build birddogging questions" in the resources section below
5) Be ready to capture a video
- See "How to get a good video" in the resources section below