Move to Amend Ohio Network 4th Annual Statewide Gathering
“AS OHIO GOES, SO GOES THE NATION”
Saturday, April 2, 2016 / 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
First Unitarian Universalist Church, 93 W. Weisheimer Road, Columbus
Carla Rautenberg - “Mistress of Ceremonies”
[ RESERVATIONS REQUESTED: Please RSVP to ohio [at] movetoamend.org ]
8:30 Doors Open
9:00 – 9:15 Gather and sign in (suggested $5 donation to defray expenses/church)
9:15 – 10:00 Welcome
“State of Move to Amend Ohio” report from the Coordinating Committee
Request for proposals for 3:30 pm Session
10:00 –10:30 Introduce candidates for Ohio Network Coordinating Committee
5 minute stump speeches from each candidate.
10:30 – 11:30 Keynote Remarks: David Cobb and George Friday
11:30 – 12:00 Q&A with George and David
12:00 – 1:15 Lunch Break - Either purchase (cost $12, see options and ordering info below) or bring since there won’t be time to go out • Socialize and learn what others are doing • Raffle • Online voting begins.
1:15 - 2:15 WORKSHOP Session I
We The People, Together!
Welcome to the Move to Amend Ohio Network for new people/groups
Who we are, what we do and what we can suggest to help your local efforts to succeed – bring your questions!
Sandy Bolzenius – Coordinator, Central Ohio Move to Amend
Frank Hribar – Mentor Move to Amend
Talking the Talk
How to have a conversation about issues that helps individuals (public officials and general public) evolve in their thinking about corporate personhood, money as speech, and creating REAL democracy.
Debbie Silverstein – Director, Single Payer Action Network (SPAN) Ohio
Catherine Turcer – Director, Common Cause Ohio
How the Arts can serve as a catalyst to widen and deepen the culture for social change
Ruthi Engelke – National MTA Arts and Culture Caucus, Theatre of the Oppressed national board member
Anita Tobin – Hip Hop Congress Ohio coordinator
2:20 – 3:20 WORKSHOP Session II
Walking the Walk
Outreach to Labor – What to say and how to connect with unions and other labor organizations
David Cobb – Move to Amend National Outreach Director, member of MTA Labor Caucus
Frank Hribar – Mentor Move to Amend; Pensioner-Marine Engineers' Benevolent Association, District 1-PCD (AFL-CIO)
Ethics in Action
Outreach to Faith and Ethical communities – What to say and how to connect with diverse faith communities and to organized ethical groups
Michael Greenman – former facilitator of national MTA Interfaith Caucus, Central Ohio Move to Amend
The prison industrial complex and Black Lives Matter -- Examining private prisons and their role in influencing government, how imprisonment is used to break up social movements, psychological and spiritual prisoner support, and the impact of the Black Live Matters movement
George Friday – National MTA Leadership Team, Bill of Rights Defense Committee (BORDC) National Field Organizer
Imam Paul Hasan – Founding member, International Council for Urban Peace Justice & Empowerment; Coordinator, Lorain County Organizing Committee for the Holy Day of Atonement
3:30 – 4:30 Proposals and Input
Discussion, debate and decisions on projects and activities to be worked on over the next year…as well as how to organize ourselves. Your proposals are welcome! Bring them or send them ahead of time to gcoleridge [at] afsc.org
Dear Conference Participants:
Welcome to the 2016 Move to Amend Ohio 4th Annual Gathering. Please read the optional activities planned for the day and respond with your options.
1. Boxed Lunches. Due to popular demand, we have asked Freedom ala Cart to cater our conference again. Lunches include a side salad, a salty snack, and a sweet treat. The cost is $12 per box. (Part of this cost will cover the delivery, drinks, and other snacks).
Here is the Freedom ala Cart’s Boxed Lunch Menu:
• Turkey tango - hand-carved turkey breast, chimichurri, roasted red pepper sauce, mayo, crisp lettuce
• Pretty bird - roasted chicken breast, mango compote, gorgonzola, sage mayo, crisp lettuce
• Hamaletta - hand-carved ham, artichoke pate, housemade olive salad
• Burly bohemian - arugula, artichoke pate, polenta patty, roasted red pepper sauce
• Red goat - roasted red peppers, goat cheese spread, arugula
• Classic chicken salad - classic homemade chicken salad made with free-range chicken
• Turkey & swiss - turkey and swiss cheese, crisp lettuce, mayo on the side
• Roasted beef & cheddar - roasted beef, aged cheddar cheese, horseradish sauce, crisp lettuce
• Hummus & roasted vegetable wrap - season vegetables and housemade hummus
Please email your selection to me at sbolzenius72 [at] hotmail.com by March 20. You can mail a check to Sandy Bolzenius, 76 W. Blake Ave., Columbus, Ohio 43202 or pay at the conference. Please make checks out to “Sandy Bolzenius.”
* Freedom ala Cart is run by formerly trafficked persons. (See freedomalacart.org for more information on this local business that is making a difference.)
2. T-shirts. We will have MTA t-shirts for sale. To be sure we have the quality and sizes you would like, you can pre-order and pick them up at the conference. Pre-ordering also saves mailing costs. Send in your order by March 20. (Order form below)
3. Raffle. Continuing the tradition, we will once again have a raffle. The more prizes, the more fun, so should you have something around the house that you would be happy to part with, bring it to the raffle table as a prize. No need to purchase something for this activity. This is not about consumerism, but sharing, having fun, and getting to know each other in the process.
4. Donation for Church. We are suggesting a donation of $5 to defray church expenses.
Move to Amend T-Shirts
Pricing and Options
$10.00 Each Size
Here’s our standard price and shipping information:
• For orders of 10 shirts minimum - $11.00 each
• Orders of 20 shirts minimum - $10.00 each
• Packaging & Postage – 10 minimum - $1.50 each
• Above 20 shirts - $1.25 each.
Sizes are: Sm, Med, Lg, XLg, and XXLg
Smaller orders than 10 will be at $11.50 with packaging and postage at $10.00 per mailing.
(Note that with this structure, 18 shirts costs the same as 20, so if you are wanting 18, you should order 20)
All will be 100% cotton, only white for now. Allow two weeks for delivery, but we should be able to get it to you faster than that. Made in USA – add (per shirt): $1.80 (S-XL); $2.50 (XXL)
Checks should be made out to: “First Unitarian Universalist Church of Columbus”, with “note” - “JAM – MTA-CO – T-shirts”
Mail to me at my address. Sandy Bolzenius, 76 W. Blake Avenue, Columbus, Ohio, (cell) 614-843-6170, E-Mail: sbolzenius72 [at] hotmail.com