Target candidates for local, state and federal office to get their position on record re: the We the People Amendment and make this an election issue. Recruit 165 candidates to sign the Pledge to Amend.
Take the Pledge to Amend
Are you an elected officeholder who supports amending the Constitution to end corporate Constitutional rights and getting money out of politics? Take the Pledge to Amend!
Where Do They Stand?
Join the Campaign
Learn about our 2016 Pledge to Amend Campaign with Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap, Jessica Munger and Rick Lass of Move to Amend's National Political Organizing Committee. Pledge to Amend is a campaign to get candidates to pledge to support the 28th Amendment to the Constitution to make clear that corporations are not people and money is not free speech!
After watching the video please be sure to fill out the evaluation and next steps survey to let us know how we can help you join the Pledge to Amend campaign: https://www.anymeeting.com/AccountManager/Survey/Survey.aspx?SurveyID=E951D885894F3A
Pledge to Amend Campaign Resources
- Candidate Pledge Form (pdf) (print on card stock and bring to candidate debates and events)
- Bird-Dogging Questions (pdf)
- Tips for Bird-Dogging Candidates
- Tips for Getting Candidate Responses on Video (pdf)
- Sample Letter to Candidates (Word doc)
- Voter Pledge for Download (pdf)
- Click Here to Upload Birddogging Videos
- Template for Response Handout for Voters (doc)
- Sample Press Release #1 (Word doc) (use to let your local media you're launching the campaign)
- Sample Press Release #2 (Word doc) (use to let your local media know the results of the campaign)
- Earned Media Guide
- Tips for Writing Letters to the Editor
Social Media Resources
- COMING SOON!
- Citizen's Lobbying Guide (for targeting elected officials)
- Move to Amend's We the People Amendment
- Hart Research Poll Results
- Move to Amend Talking Points
How To Instructions...
How to Use the Candidate Questionnaire
(NOTE: Move to Amend National will be sending the questionnaire to all Congressional Candidates -- House and Senate -- in order to allow local folks to focus on State and Municipal races. You are still highly encouraged to bird-dog federal candidates and make follow-up calls to encourage questionnaire participation).
1. Gather Candidate Information
Your state's Secretary of State or Elections Office should provide you with information about where you can find information about candidates running for office. Decide which race(s) to survey. Determine who will be running and gather contact information for all candidates. It's also a great idea to gather their Facebook page information.
2. Invite Candidates by August 1
Use our sample letter to invite all candidates to participate.
3. Send Move to Amend a list of candidates for each district
*It is important that you let us know the districts you will survey and all of the candidates running. All candidates must be listed in the published results whether or not they complete the survey, so even if a candidate declines to respond, their names will be listed. Let us know by emailing us at info [at] movetoamend.org (subject: List%20of%20Candidates%20for%20Pledge%20to%20Amend%20Campaign) .
4. Candidate Responses due by September 9 - Remind candidates!
Plan to follow up with a reminder email and phone call to confirm that each candidate has submitted their responses by October 6. This is a great time to post on their Facebook page - reminding and persuading them to participate.
5. Promote the Pledge Results September 12 – November 8
Help make the survey a success: share the results in your community. Include it in your social networks or e-blasts; announce the survey at local meetings; make a flyer to pass out at candidate forums or other community events. Get the word out well in advance of the election. This is a great time to post on their Facebook page - thanking them for participating and provide a link to the survey.
Political Organizing Committee Conference Calls -- Get Support During the Campaign
Call-In Number: (888) 602-8443
The first half of our Political Organizing Committee monthly conference call will be an opportunity to get support and feedback on your Pledge to Amend campaign. These calls are not required. If you are planning to join one of these calls, please be sure to be on time. At the beginning we'll do introductions and then take your questions or concerns. Our national team members will do their best to address your questions or concerns.
- Monday, June 20 at 3pm Pacific / 6pm Eastern
- Monday, July 18 at 3pm Pacific / 6pm Eastern
- Monday August 15 at 3pm Pacific / 6pm Eastern
- Monday, September 19 at 3pm Pacific / 6pm Eastern
- Monday, October 24 at 3pm Pacific / 6pm Eastern (note 4th Mon instead of 3rd)
- Monday, November 21 at 3pm Pacific / 6pm Eastern -- DEBRIEF CALL