We the People Dispatch
Contents of this Newsletter:
Speaking Tour: Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap, Move to Amend National Director
- Faith Communities - October 10
- Labor & Democracy (open to all) - October 11
- We the People vs. Corporate Rule: It’s Up to Us! (open to all) - October 13
- Voters Guide: We the People Amendment
- “Dark Money” film - POV
- Local Affiliate Meetings
# # #
Speaking Tour: Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap,
Move to Amend National Director
ACTION: For Clergy, Religious Educators, Church & Society and Justice Committees, Denominational, Ecumenical & Interfaith Organization Officers—
Move to Amend Information/Endorsement Event for FAITH COMMUNITIES
YOU ARE INVITED to meet and converse with Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap, Move to Amend National Director and Leaders of Minnesota Move to Amend Affiliates.
Move to Amend is a nationwide, non-partisan effort calling for an amendment to the US Constitution to unequivocally state that inalienable rights belong to human beings only, and that money is not a form of protected free speech under the First Amendment and can be regulated in political campaigns.
Labor & Democracy - Open to All
(Session 4 of a 6-session Movement Building Education Program)
Join us for a collaborative discussion on the legacy of the Labor movement with Move to Amend National Director Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap. Discuss how to incorporate the strategies of effective past movements to your work and the national effort to end corporate rule and get big money out of elections.
- Discuss the commitment of organized labor to a grassroots strategy lead by people at the frontlines of the struggle, and how this informs our work today.
- Examine the historical divide between the working class and ruling class as it is relevant to our work as organizers now.
- Explore how a people-powered movement pressured the official political structures into recognizing their demands, and how we can employ some of those strategies today.
- Build off the victories and struggles of previous labor organizers to build movement strength and endurance now.
Please come and lend your voice to the growing conversation on how to build a more authentic democracy accountable to We the People over industry profits, by passing a 28th amendment to the U.S constitution that abolishes corporate constitutional rights and money as political speech.
There are pre-session readings or videos. To received them sign-up with Barbara Gerten at minnesota [at] movetoamend.org. Please leave your name and phone number
We the People vs. Corporate Rule: It’s Up to Us! - Open to All
Mark your calendars for a presentation on the movement to end corporate rule and get big money out of politics!
Move to Amend, the national campaign to end Corporate Personhood and get big money out of politics, in collaboration with Social Justice Council of First Unitarian Universalist Church of Rochester, Rochester Friends Meeting, SE MN Alliance of Peacemakers, Land Stewardship Project, Move to Amend and MN Move to Amend State Network, invite you to a presentation on the topic of challenging corporate rule and creating authentic democracy.
“Corporate Personhood” commonly refers to the court-created precedent that gives corporations constitutional rights intended solely for human beings. This corporate perversion of constitutional rights is directly tied to the inability of We the People and our government to address increasingly devastating environmental, economic, and social justice issues.
Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap, the National Director of Move to Amend, will give a historical overview of how over a century of Supreme Court rulings have bestowed corporations with constitutional rights. Community members will learn how to work with those we elect in November to grow a grassroots movement to get big money out of politics. This will be followed by Q&A, discussion and next steps for local action. It is also is an opportunity to talk with Kaitlin about the intersection of corporate rule and the local issues they work to overcome.
For more information on this event contact: Barbara Gerten at minnesota [at] movetoamend.org 651-470-7781. Check out the website at https://movetoamend.org/minnesota
# # #
Voters Guide: We the People Amendment
Early voting has started and the Minnesota Move to Amend State Network is pleased to announce the full list of candidates who have demonstrated support by cosponsoring the We the People bill in the past and/or completing the Pledge to Amend questionnaire with “YES” responses.
1. Do you support amending the U.S. Constitution to make clear that corporations and other artificial entities do not have Constitutional rights and that money is not speech and campaign spending should be limited through regulation?
2. Will you use your office to support the Movement to Amend the Constitution by passing resolutions, proposing legislation, and publicly speaking out about the need for this Amendment?