We the People Dispatch
Contents of this Newsletter:
- You Can’t Win a Race if You Never Start
We the People bill (SF2038 / HF2701) at the Minnesota Legislature
- Deliver Amendments on a Stick
Democracy in Action: Let’s Be Heard
- HJR48 (We the People Amendment bill) Gains Traction: 64 Cosponsors
- Companion Bill Needed in US Senate
Help Expand our Base
- Make It Known - Democracy is a Human Right
Local Affiliate Meetings
- Minneapolis Area
- Lakes Area (North Central)
- Saint Paul Area
- Duluth Area
- SE MN (Rochester & Winona) Area
- Adopt the Move to Amend Resolution - Become an Endorsing Organization
- Endorsing Organizations have Adopted the Move to Amend Resolution
# # #
You Can’t Win a Race if You Never Start
ACTION 1: Email minnesota [at] movetoamend.org to let us know you want to learn more, get involved or want specific information.
On Facebook I posted “Reversing Citizens United is not enough. The very basics of who this democracy is of, by and for needs to be established. We need to make it clear that We the People means human beings only. Learn more at movetoamend.org. Sign the petition and join the movement.” The first response read, “Haha good luck with that one. Do you understand the process to amend the USC? First of all a bill to amend needs to pass Congress. Good luck with that one. God you liberals are a dense group. Do you have magic dust to sprinkle on the clouds?” My reply has gotten some thumbs up, “Yes. It has been done 27 times before. Can’t win the race if we never start.”
Join us in this race. We are no longer at the starting blocks and we have a long distance to go.
During a recent part of the journey a committed team of volunteers had a very fulfilling time at the Great Minnesota Get Together. The conversations with people from around the state confirmed that the mission of Move to Amend has broad support.
# # #
We the People bills (SF2038 / HF2701) at the Minnesota Legislature
Deliver Amendments on a Stick
ACTION: Join in delivering the Amendments on a Stick. Email minnesota [at] movetoamend.org to let us know your interest. Type “Delivery Team’ in the subject line.
Together with SEIU members at the AFL-CIO booth we offered our version of the state fair theme. The Amendments on a Stick were a hit at the Minnesota State Fair as 938 people asked us to deliver this message to their state senator and representative:
Call on Congress to pass a Constitutional Amendment stating:
- The rights protected by the Constitution of the United State are the rights of natural persons only.
- Money contributed and spent in campaigns is not a First Amendment free speech right therefore can be regulated and must be disclosed.
Please champion HF2701 (MN House) SF2038 (MN Senate).
Make Minnesota the 21st state to make this request of Congress.
Here’s where you come in - Next we will deliver them, and we would like each delivery team to include at least one constituent. Let us know if you would like to be part of a team.
# # #
Democracy in Action: Let’s Be Heard
HJR48 (We the People Amendment bill) Gains Traction: 64 Cosponsors
ACTION: Thank Representatives McCollum, Omar, Craig and Phillips. Ask Rep Stauber, Peterson, Emmer, Hagedorn to become cosponsors of HJR48.
Companion Bill Needed in US Senate
ACTION: Ask Senators Smith and Klobuchar to introduce in the US Senate a companion bill to HJR48 (House Joint Resolution 48).
Click for links to their contact information.
- Message to Representative McCollum: Hello, I’m ____, one of your constituents and am so pleased that you have again cosponsored the We the People Amendment bill (HJR48). I’m pleased you are the first cosponsor named. Thank you!
- Message to Representatives Omar, Craig, Phillips: Hello, I’m ____, one of your constituents. I learned that you have become a cosponsor of HJR48, the We the People Amendment bill. Thank so much.
- Message to Representatives Petersen, Hagedorn, Emmer and Stauber: Hello, I’m ____, one of your constituents. I am concerned about the influence that outside and undisclosed money has on our elections. I am concerned that big corporations and unions have more influence through their money than human beings do through their voices. Therefore I support the We the People Amendment bill. Please cosponsor HJR48.
- Message to Senators Smith and Klobuchar: Hello, I’m ____, one of your constituents. I am concerned about the influence that outside and undisclosed money has on our elections. I am concerned that big corporations and unions have more influence through their money than human beings do through their voices. Therefore I support HJR48, the We the People Amendment bill. Please become the lead sponsor in the US Senate of the companion bill.
# # #
Help Expand the Base
Make It Known - Democracy is a Human Right
“We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.” Louis D. Brandeis, former Supreme Court Justice.
Any movement starts with people voicing their concern, making a commitment and joining other similarly concerned neighbors.
We have Move to Amenders in every House and Senate District in Minnesota which demonstrates the widespread concern people have about our democracy. You can help us double the number by asking people in your community to sign the petition.
There are three ways people can sign the petition that says:
We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court’s Citizens United ruling and other related cases, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons entitled to constitutional rights.
You can help gather signatures in support of the petition statement. It is the best way to educate the public. Community festivals, political rallies, farmers' markets, grocery stores, film screenings, picnics of local organizations, and other local events can provide good opportunities for outreach.
To learn more about Move to Amend go to https://movetoamend.org
For help and more information about the efforts in Minnesota, please email Barbara at minnesota [at] movetoamend.org
# # #
Local Affiliate Events
ACTION: Attend an Affiliate Event. Receive affiliate Facebook posts.
MINNEAPOLIS AREA: Help make democracy an issue.
The church is located one-half block west of the corner of Hennepin Avenue South and West 28th Street. FREE parking is across the street from the church on the west side of the parking lot.
Contact: Debbie at minneapolis [at] movetoamend.org
- Facebook Group - Minneapolis Area Move to Amend: https://www.facebook.com/groups/187282821402746/?ref=bookmarks
Contact: Roger at brainerd [at] movetoamend.org
- Facebook Group - Lakes Area Move to Amend: https://www.facebook.com/groups/712167322316204/
SAINT PAUL AREA:
Volunteer: We are excited to have Sarah Lukowski leading the Saint Paul Area Affiliate. If you are interested in joining the Leadership Team, please let her know at saintpaul [at] movetoamend.org. This would be a great time to invest in using and/or learning organizing skills, or volunteering for short-term tasks.
Imagining Real Democracy - Discussion Series
Fall Discussion Topics - Content and Order are subject to change
- October 28 - Negotiating Partnerships (video) As agents of personal, business, and social change, many of us understand that we cannot use dominator tactics to create the partnership world we want. However our best intentions to operate with the mindsets and behaviors of partnership can be challenged when we attempt to solve problems or negotiate new agreements with people who come to the table with diverse points of view and power-over tactics.
- November 25 - Emergent Fascism In The U.S. - Historical And Current Implications For Social Justice Organizing (articles) The fundamental characteristic of fascism is corporate economic power merged with the political power of the State. The 21st century global fascism of the corporate State is in response to the destruction of the current capitalist economic system wrought by the economic revolution in production technology. A fascist program is being implemented by a global capitalist class to protect private property. In countries around the world, fascist economic and political policies have been maturing by varying degrees over the past two decades, and an effort to further privatize the commons is underway. This, along with a concerted effort to continue to concentrate wealth in the hands of the few, or to address climate-related disasters and chaos due to global warming, is critical for understanding how to effectively resist and win the struggle for democracy rooted in social and economic justice.
Contact: Sarah at saintpaul [at] movetoamend.org
Pre-register at saintpaul [at] movetomaned.org to receive readings in advance of the discussion. Type “Imagining Democracy” in the subject line. This is not necessary but will be helpful for your participation.
Another way to become informed: Ask to join the Facebook Group - St Paul Area Move to Amend: https://www.facebook.com/groups/St.PaulAreaMoveToAmend/
DULUTH AREA: Contact Barbara at duluth [at] movetoamend.org
- Facebook Group - Duluth Area Move to Amend: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DuluthAreaMTA/
SE MN (Rochester & Winona) Area: Contact Barbara at minnesota [at] movetoamend.org
- Facebook Group - SE MN (Rochester & Winona) Move to Amend: https://www.facebook.com/groups/RochesterAreaMTA/
# # #
Adopt the Move to Amend Resolution - Become an Endorsing Organization
ACTION: Find the resolution and instructions here.
# # #
Endorsing Organizations - Adopted the Move to Amend Resolution
We are pleased to announce that two more organizations have adopted the Move to Amend Resolution: Health Care for All Minnesota, and Holy Trinity Episcopal Church.
Peace: Anti-War Committee * Friends for a NonViolent World (FNVW) * GlobalSolutionsMN.org * Grandmothers for Peace – Twin Cities * Minnesota Alliance of Peacemakers * Twin Cities Peace Campaign * Veterans for Peace Chapter 27 * Women Against Military Madness
Faith Communities: Macalester Plymouth United Church * Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Duluth * Oak Grove Presbyterian Church * St. Christopher’s Episcopal Church * The Presbytery of the Twin Cities Area * Holy Trinity Episcopal Church
Business: Progpen Consulting, Inc
Other: Edina Indivisible Minnesota * Indivisible I (International) Falls * Minnesota chapter of the Progressive Independent Party * N.E. Metro Progressives * Occupy Saint Paul