MAY 1, 2012 -- International May Day March Down Main Street and Education Event
• To bring to public awareness this more than century old  tradition, Occupy WNC sponsored and procured a permit for this non-violent direct action rally.
• May Day festivities began 11:30 am at the Historic old Courthouse Fountain on Main, Sylva, NC with a reading of Bill's original historic union poem, followed by Allen's welcoming comments which included information that in 1894, the National Chamber of Commerce successfully lobbied Congress to declare a national holiday—an act which co-opted and then morphed the origin, radical Federation of Organized Trades and Labor Unions May Day into what is now known and celebrated as this nation's Labor Day holiday. Connections were established between this historical day and the current situation in Corporate-controlled US. The march up the south side of Main and back down the north side began at noon. As we marched we continually chanted, "Corporations are NOT People; Money is NOT Speech!"
• Prior to the march an invitational ad was placed in an area paper. Significantly Garrett had also approached businesses on Main Street, asking that they close for one hour at noon-- in solidarity with national strikers that day and to sign a statement to post on their windows a "Statement of Solidarity:"
We the undersigned affirm our belief that all people are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. We support, in principle, a General Strike on May 1, 2012: for migrant rights, women’s rights, LGBTQ rights; for jobs for all, for a moratorium on foreclosures, for peace through justice—and to recognize housing, education and health care as human rights. In appreciation, we posted their names to encourage citizens to shop accordingly.
• At 12:30 pm the event moved to the Community Room in the Library. The showing of Wall Street crime thriller The Insider at 1:00 pm was followed by audience discussion at 2:30 pm.
Just days earlier, April 28,2012 -- Greening up the Mountain Occupy WNC presents MTA message at annual crowd of 10,000.
• Springtime in Western NC is welcomed by crowds from surrounding counties who come to enjoy presentations by a multitude of the area's groups and artisans. Our tent displayed many anti-corporate posters and twice we reenacted our version of "Globo Corps -- in the middle of the street -- to amuse and educate onlookers.
• Except during the skit, all were attired in Robin Hood's Merry Men and Maid costumes (fashioned by several of our group) and we offered homemade mini-OccuPies and MTA literature to all who stopped to sign the Corporations are not People; Money is not Speech petitions.GUTM provided a perfect opportunity to engage people in person and to answer questions they had about MTA literature, petitions and our skit.